What's on Your Pod/PDA/Shoe Phone/Reel-to-Reel?

Time again for a roundup of the files in rotation at Western Blot. Before I begin, a moment of silence for my Rio Carbon 5 GB player, stolen from my backpack at the VSU library in January... After giving up the search and rescue mission, I plunked plastic for a Philips 30 GB GoGear. I'm not a big fan of the iPod (in my opinion, iTunes blows); I prefer less proprietary devices.



(Mauricio, cued and ready to bring Hank Quinlan to heel... I suppose the blur is metaphoric.)

So, what's on yours? Really? Do tell. I hadn't previously heard of Tindersticks, Mew, Devendra Banhart, or She Wants Revenge... Yes, we'll definitely have to hang some evening. Lessee, I'll just check my calendar... I have a free Thursday in 2187. Okay with you?

(Yes, I'm a fucking dick. So what's new?)

Here's what I've been listening to in the last 30 days:

Mauricio Kagel's Acustica, Eno's Another Day on Earth (still in rotation after five months), Kryptic Minds & Leon Switch's Black Out Vol. 1-4 collection, Breakcore Gives Me Wood, the Carpe Diem Part Two comp., King Tubby's Dangerous Dub, Water Lilly's Dissidance EP, Dubstep Allstars Vol. 2, the Radio 1 Breezeblock livemix special Dubstep Warz, the 1969 comp Electronic Music III, Anthony Braxton's Ensemble (New York), For Four Orchestras, and String Quartet (Köln) albums, Essential Mix: Grime/Dubstep (another Radio 1 broadcast), Andy Partridge's Take Away/The Lure of Salvage, to which I've been grooving since I first bought it in Athens in 1980, The Associates' Fourth Drawer Down, which almost never leaves rotation, Animal Collective's Grass EP (why not?), Grim Dubs Vol. 1-3, my main dog Stockhausen's Gruppen/Carré and Sternklang reissues, the Joy Div Heart and Soul box, John Greaves & Peter Blevgad's awesome '77 release Kew. Rhone., the terrific Kindermusik compilation, Antony and the Johnsons/Current 93 Live at St. Olave's Church, London, Twisted Individual's Live on KoolFM set from 25 Jan 06, a wonderful late-period (20 July 81) boot from all-time greats The Slits (I miss you too, Viv), Miles' Live-Evil, Fog's Lust EP, lots of PiL (Metal Box, the always wrongly underrated Paris au Printemps, and the first three discs of Plastic Box), Microhate (check the best-of '05 thread for details), Copy's Mobius Beard LP (still not sold on it), Ian Boddy & Bernhard Wöstheinrich's Moiré album, Habib Koite & Bamada's very brilliant Muso Ko, New Age Steppers' 1980 debut long-player, Nouvelle Vague's self-titled 2004 covers album (difficult even for cynics to resist), the Raincoats' Odyshape (I had it long before either Kurt or Thurston, you pricks), scads of d+b plates, Miwon's Pale Glitter alb, the Kompakt Pop Ambient '06 collection, Putamayo Presents Mali, This Heat's Repeat EP, Boy Robot's Rotten Cocktails album, the other, in-progress To Live and Shave in L.A. release, Horóscopo: Sanatorio de Molière (I'm trying my damnest to finish it, but I'm never quite satisified - only three years and counting...), the Pistols' Sex Box, Suede's Singles comp (sue me), Digital Mystikz' Stuck EP, KJ Sawka's crazed Synchronized Decompression disc, Modeselektor's The Hello Mom Remixes EP, Diamanda's The Singer (there's always something from her her nearby), Rhino's killer two-disc '05 reissue of The Stooges' 1969 debut, Neubauten's 1999 EP Total Eclipse of the Sun (no Bonnie Tyler collab, Blixa?), The Fall's Totally Wired: The Rough Trade Singles comp (I know, I'm becoming brazenly nostalgic in my middle years), several hours of Russian drills from the university's online language server, Mikkel Metal's Victimizer CD, Unni Løvlid's Vita alb, the Kitbuilders' Wake Up (Module Version), Keith Rowe & Toshimaru Nakanura's Weather Sky disc (again, sue me), Arctic Monkeys' Whatever People Say... (ha-ha, I don't care - I'd rather have heard it than not, and as it happens, I like it), the Wild Dub comp (mainly because my 4 Be 2 vinyl was swiped ages ago, and WD has the "One of the Lads" remix on it), The Pop Group's Y (in rotation for 27 years now...), and the admirably succinct Yes L.A. EP.

So, that's the March report. Shall we meet again in another 30 days?

Yours Faithfully,

TS

Comments

Popular Posts